Houses on Drygate, from an illustration reproduced in J F S Gordon's Glasghu Facies, 1872. The Prebendal Manses of the Rectors of Peebles and of Eaglesham were built in the Middle Ages. They were just two of the manses built to accommodate the thirty-two prebendaries who were members of the Cathedral chapter and participated in the administration and government of its affairs. The Rector of Peebles was Archdeacon of Glasgow.
The Rector of Peebles' manse was acquired by Sir Matthew Stewart of Minto after the Reformation, and it was subsequently acquired by Dame Isabel Douglas, the Dowager Marchioness of Montrose, and then inherited by the first Duke of Montrose who extended the house to the east - the extension is to the left of the original manse in this view, with three arches on the ground floor and four windows on each of the floors above. The duke then acquired the Eaglesham manse attached to the west side of his house, and demolished it in order to build another extension (which was never completed).
The Duke's Lodgings were subsequently demolished and an addition to the city's bridewell, or prison, was built in the grounds.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bridewells, Duke's Lodgings, gaols, jails, Manse of the Rector of Eaglesham, Prebendal Manse of the Rector of Peebles, prebendal manses, prebendaries, prebends, prisons