A postcard view of the tenements in Fotheringay Road in Pollokshields, 1908. Terregles Avenue is in the foreground, separated from Fotheringay Road by a cutting which carries the Cathcart District Railway line (the famous "Cathcart Circle") through the area.
After the opening of Central Station in the heart of the city in 1879, plans were made to build a new commuter line to connect it with the growing and prosperous South Side suburbs. The Cathcart District Railway Co was backed by Central's owners, the Caledonian Railway Co. Work began on a section of the line from Pollokshields East to Cathcart in 1883, and the company completed the 8-mile inner and outer circle lines in 1894.
Maxwell Park Station is just out of view, on the far right of this image. It was opened in 1894 and at its peak, prior to the First World War, it handled 220,000 passengers a year. The attractive station building was restored in 2000.
Reference: TD 1586/5
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Caledonian Railway Co, Cathcart Circle, Cathcart District Railway Co, commuters, Maxwell Park Station, postcards, railway cuttings, railway stations, railways, suburbs, tenements