The view looking east along Albert Drive in Pollokshields, as depicted on a postcard that was sent on 7 June 1917. The street was originally called Albert Road but was renamed many years after Glasgow annexed the Burgh of East Pollokshields in 1891.
Albert Road Academy can be seen on the right, on the corner of Herriet Street. It was designed by H & D Barclay and called Albert Road Public School when it was built built in 1882, becoming Albert Road Academy in 1901. In 2004 it is Pollokshields Primary.
The prominent tower in the distance belongs to Albert Road United Presbyterian Church, designed by J B Wilson and built in 1886-1887. It was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1965 for a new Roman Catholic parish and it opened two years later as St Albert the Great.
Reference: TD 1586/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Albert Road Academy, Albert Road Public School, Albert Road United Presbyterian Church, H & D Barclay, Pollokshields Primary School, postcards, primary schools, Roman Catholic churches, secondary schools, shops, St Albert the Great Church, streetscenes, tenements