A man and girl prepare to launch the elevating ferry steamer Finnieston at William Simons & Co's shipyard, Renfrew, before large crowd, 1890.
The Finnieston was the first elevating deck ferry to operate on the River Clyde, when it was introduced on the crossing between Finnieston and Plantation Quay in 1890. The elevating platform was raised and lowered through 14 feet by steam winches, to enable the adjustment of the vehicle deck to the level of the landing quays according to the state of the tide. It could carry up to eight carts and 300 passengers.
Reference: T-CN 19/390
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Archives
children, crowds, elevating deck ferries, Finnieston, Finnieston Ferry, girls, ship launches, shipyards, vehicular ferries, William Simons & Co