A 25-ton coaling hoist loading coal into a ship's hold at the South Quay, Prince's Dock, 1914, looking west towards Govan Town Hall. The hoist was built by Sir W G Armstrong & Co and was the first of its kind in Glasgow when it was introduced in 1903.
Each fully-laden coal wagon (right) was attached in turn to the hoist at quay level, and raised to a height of 50 feet. The wagon's contents were then tipped through a chute into the ship's bunker below. The empty wagon was placed on a raised track (in the centre of the photograph) and the force of gravity returned it to the sidings on the left.
Reference: T-CN 19/125/001
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coal ships, coal wagons, cranes, docks, Govan Burgh Hall, hydraulic coaling hoists, Prince's Dock, quays, railways, Sir W G Armstrong & Co, steam ships