A photograph of Barclay & Curle's Shipyard and Slip as it appeared in 1845, a painting by F T Morton, a director of Barclay, Curle & Co.
John Barclay became a shipbuilder at Stobcross in 1818 and his sons Thomas and Robert inherited the business. In 1844 Robert Curle and James Hamilton became partners with Robert in the firm, which became Robert Barclay & Curle. In 1855 they opened the Clydeholm Shipyard at Whiteinch and the Stobcross yard was sold to the Clyde Navigation Trust in 1874. The firm was renamed Barclay, Curle & Co in 1863.
Reference: T-CN 19/001/017a
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Barclay, Curle & Co, paddle steamers, Queen's Dock, repair slips, River Clyde, Robert Barclay & Co, Robert Barclay & Curle, rowing boats, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, slip docks, steamships