The Govan Vehicular Ferry on the River Clyde, March 1882. A & J Inglis' shipyard and the ferry slipway at Pointhouse at the mouth of the River Kelvin are in the background.
From 1857, a chain-hauled vehicular ferry for horses, carts and carriages operated between Water Row in Govan and Pointhouse in Partick. A new double-chain vehicular ferry was introduced in 1875, and continued in operation until it was replaced by a steam vessel with an elevating deck (and the vehicular ferry dock was altered) in 1912.
Reference: T-CN 19/004/014
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Archives
A & J Inglis, chain ferries, ferry slipways, Govan Ferry, Govan Vehicular Ferry, inns, Pointhouse Inn, River Clyde, River Kelvin, shipbuilders, shipyards