Fairfield Day School on Fairfield Street in Govan in the early 1970s.
This school was designed by John Honeyman and built in 1873 as St Mary's Hall Public School. Although it was managed by the Govan Parish School Board it was paid for using funds from Abraham Hill's Trust. In 1878 it was renamed Fairfield Public School before becoming Fairfield Primary School in 1949. It closed in 1966 but reopened two years later as Fairfield Day Centre for children with special needs.
Some of the carved details on the building were by Charles Benham Grassby (1834-1910).
Reference: D-ED 5/29/8/154
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Abraham Hill's Trust, Fairfield Day School, Fairfield Primary School, Fairfield Public School, Govan Parish School Board, learning difficulties, primary schools, special needs schools, special schools, St Mary's Hall Public School