Milton Primary School on Milton Street in Cowcaddens, 1970s.
Milton Public School was probably designed by James Sellars and could accommodate up to 1,156 pupils when it opened in April 1878. Originally a boys-only school, by 1949 the school had become mixed and was renamed Milton Primary.
The school closed in 1972, about a year after this photograph was taken. For the next six years it was a hostel for the homeless, before it was badly damaged by fire. It was demolished almost exactly 100 years after its opening.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/8/153
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
fires, homeless shelters, homelessness, hostels, Milton Primary School, Milton Public School