Drumchapel School on Garscadden Road in Drumchapel, 1970s.
Drumchapel Public School was built in 1905 to a design demonstrating ideal school architecture which had been exhibited at Glasgow's International Exhibition in 1901. It became Drumchapel Primary School in 1949 and in 1964 it was re-purposed to become Drumchapel School for Mentally Handicapped Children. It had become the Thomas Fortune Work Centre by 1990 but the building was earmarked for demolition in 2003.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/7/144
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
disabilities, Drumchapel Primary School, Drumchapel Public School, Drumchapel School, Drumchapel School for Mentally Handicapped Children, International Exhibition, 1901, school architecture, schools, special needs schools, special schools