Rottenrow Primary School in Townhead, 1970s. Rottenrow began life as a Public School but was converted into a Day Industrial School in 1882.
The passing of the Glasgow Juvenile Delinquency Prevention and Repression Act in 1878 permitted the formation of Day Industrial Schools under a Board of Directors responsible to a Board of Commissioners, to deal with delinquent children. The schools were supported from Government grants and local rates. By 1901 there were 2,400 Glasgow children in reformatories and industrial schools. Rottenrow opened at 6am and closed at 6pm each day and provided the children with three free meals per day.
Following the dissolution of the Glasgow School Board in 1919 Rottenrow became a primary school again.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/7/140
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Day Industrial Schools, Glasgow Juvenile Delinquency Prevention and Repression Act, 1878, Glasgow School Board, primary schools, Rottenrow Day Industrial School, Rottenrow Primary School, Rottenrow Public School