The former Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution building, 1970s.
The Institution was founded in 1819 and originally occupied premises in Townhead. The foundation stone for a new building was laid at Mount Florida by Lord Provost John Blackie on 20 October 1876, and it opened two years later at a cost of £15,000. The Gothic institution was transferred to the new Langside College in 1947.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/7/136
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
disablilities, Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution, Langside College, Lord Provosts, schools for the deaf