Anderson Street Nursery School in Partick in the early 1970s.
The Partick Free Church School was built in 1846 by the Free Church of Scotland as a School of Industry for Girls. The curriculum included needlework and other basics of domestic education. In 1850 the building was extended to the rear and became a mixed school, and eight years later it became a public school charging each pupil a fee of a penny a week to study there.
Two years after the passing of the Education (Scotland) Act of 1872 the school was transferred to the Govan Parish School Board and became Anderson Street Public School. A second storey was added to the building in 1875. The pupils were transferred to Stewartville Public School in 1891 and Anderson Street served various educational purposes from woodwork workshops to an overflow for Rosevale Street School. In 1940 it Street became a nursery school and remains so in 2004.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/7/132
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Anderson Street Nursery School, Anderson Street Public School, domestic science, Education (Scotland) Act, 1872, Free Church of Scotland, girls schools, Govan Parish School Board, needlework, nursery schools, primary schools, Rosevale Street School, school fees, School of Industry for Girls