St Mungo's Academy on Parson Street in Townhead, 1970s.
In 1858 Marist Brothers founded a boys school on Glebe Street before opening a fee charging establishment in their own residence at 96 Garngad Hill. This school, the first to be named St Mungo's Academy, became so overcrowded that in 1882 the Brothers bought the building in this photograph, which was extended on several occasions in subsequent years. It was transferred to the local education authority in 1919 as a result of the Education (Scotland) Act of 1918. The dark passageway on the right leads through into the central courtyard which hosted all major school assemblies.
By 1973 the school had been earmarked for demolition. A replacement, also called St Mungo's, opened on Crownpoint Road in Bridgeton in 1977. During the intervening years pupils were accommodated in the school's St Kentigern's Annexe on Duke Street and in the Hanson Street Annexe of the Central College of Commerce.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/6/126
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Central College of Commerce, Education (Scotland) Act, 1918, Hanson Street Annexe, Marist Brothers, Roman Catholic secondary schools, St Kentigern's Annexe, St Mungo's Academy