Bernard Street Secondary School in Bridgeton, 1970s. The construction of this school was delayed by the outbreak of the First World War but it was completed in 1916. However it was to be the last school built by the Glasgow School Board before the organisation was dissolved in 1919 and replaced by the Glasgow Education Authority.
In the latter years the School Board required the inclusion of a central hall in new school buildings, for drills, exercising and communal meetings. The classrooms at Bernard Street were located on each of the four sides of the central hall.
The school has been demolished and industrial units stand on the site at the beginning of the 21st century.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/6/124
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bernard Street Junior Secondary School, Bernard Street Secondary School, First World War, junior secondary schools