Colston Secondary School, early 1970s. The school was designed by Duncan McNaughton & Son for the Maryhill Parish School Board in 1907 and was located on Newbold Avenue and Springburn Road.
The public school was originally constructed for children who, until 1907, had been taught in temporary buildings on the Milton Estate to the west of Colston. It became a school for physically disabled and partially sighted children and in 1947 became a junior secondary school. In 1970 it was granted comprehensive status and was greatly extended.
The school's roll fell throughout the 1980s and it was closed in 1989 when one of the newer blocks was refurbished and taken over by the Strathclyde Regional Chemist and Public Analyst. In 1993 the original sandstone building was gutted by fire and demolished to make way for a housing estate.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/6/121
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Coilston Junior Secondary School, Colston Public School, Colston Secondary School, disabled children, Duncan McNaughton & Son, junior secondary schools, Maryhill Parish School Board, Milton Estate, special schools, Strathclyde Regional Chemist and Public Analyst