The Martyrs' Annexe of St Mungo's Academy, 1970s.
Martyrs' Public School was designed by Honeyman & Keppie and built on Parson Street in 1895-1898. The architects employed Charles Rennie Mackintosh (who was born on Parson Street in 1868) as their senior assistant and his influence is evident in many aspects of the design, not least in the arched window in the centre of this photograph.
In 1949 the school became Martyrs' Primary. Ten years later the building was annexed by Stow College of Building and between 1961 and 1973 Martyrs' was an annexe of St Mungo's Academy. At the start of the 21st century part of the building is open to the public as a museum and part is used as offices by Glasgow Museums' staff.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/6/114
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Glasgow City Council, Culture and Leisure Services, Glasgow Museums, Glasgow Style, Honeyman & Keppie, Martyrs' Primary School, Martyrs' Public School, primary schools, St Mungo's Academy, Martyrs' Annexe, Stow College of Building