The St Kentigern's Annexe of St Mungo's Academy as it appeared in the early 1970s. John Burnett designed the building for the trustees of James Alexander, who was a partner in R F & J Alexander, cotton spinners and thread manufacturers. It opened as Alexander's Endowed School in 1858 but was taken over by the Glasgow School Board in 1886 and renamed St Kentigern's Public School.
The six medallion sculptures above the colonnade were carved by John Crawford and include Homer, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Michelangelo and Milton.
St Kentigern's Public School closed in 1923. The following year, the building was reopened as St Kentigern's Roman Catholic School, an annexe of St Mungo's Academy. Following the construction of the new St Mungo's on Crownpoint Road in 1977 this building became the Ladywell Day Centre or Ladywell School for children with learning and behavioural difficulties. Since 2001 it has housed the Ladywell Business Centre run by the East End Partnership.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/5/107
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Alexander's Endowed School, children with special needs, Ladywell Day Centre, Ladywell School, primary schools, R F & J Alexander, Roman Catholic secondary schools, special schools, St Kentigern's Public School, St Kentigern's Roman Catholic School, St Mungo's Academy, St Kentigern's Annexe