Kennedy Street Primary School in Townhead. This school was built for the Glasgow School Board in 1875 on the north side of Kennedy Street, to the east of the Sun Foundry and the city's fever hospital.
In 1880 the school had 869 children on its register but the average attendance was only 602, at a time when high absentee rates were common in Glasgow. In 1885, however, it was one of thirteen Board schools selected to provide secondary education to pupils who had been awarded bursaries.
By the time this photograph was taken in the early 1970s the building appears to have become derelict.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/5/98
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Kennedy Street Primary School, Kennedy Street Public School, primary schools, secondary schools