Abraham Hill's Trust Primary School on Golspie Street in Govan, 1970s.
Abraham Hill was a Govan-born merchant who made his fortune in Wolverhampton. In 1757 he bequeathed £200 for the purchase of land around Govan parish. The land was let for agriculture and the funds used to support the headmaster at Govan Parish School and pay the school fees of up to ten children: the number was increased to seventy in 1872, as the rising price of land in the area resulted in a vast increase in the amount of money at the disposal of the Trust.
In 1875 the trustees commissioned the architects Baird & Thomson to design Abraham Hill's Trust School, which was managed by the Govan School Board and by the trustees and was described as "the only private undenominational [sic] elementary school in the parish." The Trust introduced bursaries for all children in the parish in 1890.
In 1974 pupils were transferred to a new school on Nethan Street. The old Hill's Trust building serves as a community centre at the beginning of the 21st century.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/3/51a
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Abraham Hill's Trust School, Baird & Thomson, bursaries, Govan Parish School Board, Hill's Trust Primary School, merchants, philanthropists, primary schools, school fees