Springbank Public School in Firhill, 1916. The main entrance was on Hinshaw Street, just out of view to the left. The road in the foreground is Doncaster Street.
The school was built in 1884 near to the site of an older temporary school which dated back to the foundation of the Glasgow School Board in the 1870s. On its foundation in 1873 the Board had leased a wide variety of premises in which to educate the children of the city while work was under way to build permanent school buildings. An inspector who had visited Springbank temporary school in 1875 reported that over 400 children were being taught there by only two teachers and five pupil teachers.
Reference: D-ED 5/27/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Education (Scotland) Act 1872, Glasgow School Board, primary schools, pupil teachers, schools, Springbank Public School, teachers, temporary schools