Napiershall Street Public School in Woodside, 1916.
Napiershall opened in 1900 and is a typical Glasgow School Board building of three stories built in red sandstone. The janitor's house is in front of the school, at the railings.
The tenements on the right of the photograph have since been demolished and replaced with modern flats. Cooper & Co's offices and stores on Herbert Street, behind and to the right of the school in this view, was also replaced with modern housing. The firm, established by Thomas Bishop (1845-1923) in 1871 and named for his mother-in-law, established a chain of grocery shops across Scotland and England.
Reference: D-ED 5/20/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cooper & Co, grocers, grocery chains, janitors' houses, Napiershall Street Primary School, Napiershall Street Public School, offices, primary schools, provisions merchants, schools, tenements