The eastern facade of Gairbraid Public School (1898) in Maryhill, 1916.
Mary Hill (1730-1809) had developed the Gairbraid estate at the end of the 18th century and gave her name to the small village that was established there. Gairbraid Avenue, which ran along the west-facing front of the school, originally led to her home, Gairbraid House, on the banks of the River Kelvin. However, following the construction of Maryhill's new Burgh Hall at the Avenue's junction with Maryhill Road in 1878, the surrounding land was developed for housing and industry. Maryhill Baths and Wash-house were built in 1898 to the right of the tenements which can be seen behind the school, and the low warehouse roof in the distance, far left, belonged to the dye works, the locomotive works or the laundry which were built near Gairbraid House.
Reference: D-ED 5/19/3
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Gairbraid Public School, primary schools, tenements