A photograph looking east along Gairbraid Avenue towards Gairbraid Public School in 1916. The school was built in 1898 by T L Watson for the Maryhill School Board in an Italian palazzo style.
The centre of the burgh had shifted from Maryhill Cross to Wyndford Cross at the junction of Maryhill Road and Gairbraid Avenue, after Maryhill Burgh Hall had been built there between 1876 and 1878. Maryhill Baths and Wash-house were built on the opposite side of Gairbraid Avenue from the school in 1898.
Reference: D-ED 5/19/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Gairbraid Public School, Gairbraid School, Maryhill Public Baths and Wash-house, Maryhill School Board, primary schools, steamies, wash-houses