A science lesson at Garrioch Public School in Wyndford, 1916.
The teacher is standing at the back of the room under the shelves of apparatus. Headmaster James D Martin is on the left, inspecting the work of a wary pupil.
On the far left of the photograph is a row of fume chambers. Each chamber was accessed by the glass panel at the front, raised along the slots on the wooden posts. Any noxious fumes were dispersed by opening an aperture in the window behind the chamber, releasing the gases into the atmosphere.
Reference: D-ED 5/18/6
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
children, classrooms, fume chambers, Garrioch Public School, headmasters, primary schools, pupils, science apparatus, science laboratories, science labs, Shakespeare Street Junior School, teachers