A photograph of a portrait of Andrew Cochrane of Brighouse (1693-1777). The identity of the artist is unknown but he may have been William Cochrane.
Cochrane was the son of an Ayr merchant who married a daughter of Peter Murdoch and became a prominent tobacco merchant as a partner in Andrew Cochrane & Co and Cochrane, Murdoch & Co. He was a founder of the Glasgow Arms Bank in 1750 and a partner in Bell's Tanyard, which operated as a bank as well as a tanning business. He served as Provost in 1744-1745, 1748-1749 and 1760-61. During the Jacobite occupation in 1745 Cochrane refused to present Charles Edward Stewart with a list of Hanoverian loyalists in the city. In 1748 he travelled to London with George Murdoch to secure compensation for losses incurred by the city during the occupation.
A collection of Cochrane's letters, the Cochrane Correspondence was published by the Maitland Club. A monument to him was erected in the nave of Glasgow Cathedral.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f941.435 OLD
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Andrew Cochrane & Co, bankers, banks, Bell's Tanyard, Cochrane Correspondence, Cochrane, Murdoch & Co, Glasgow Arms Bank, Glasgow Cathedral, Hanoverians, Jacobite Rebellion, 1745, Jacobites, Lord Provosts, Maitland Club, portraits, tanners, The '45, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants