A photograph of a portrait of Andrew Foulis (1712-1775). The painting is is thought to have been by Horatio McCulloch.
Foulis was a successful bookseller and printer in partnership with his brother Robert (1707-1776). Together they established the Foulis Academy of Fine Arts in 1753, with financial support from the wealthy merchants John Glassford (1715-1783), Archibald Ingram (1704-1770) and John Coats Campbell. This was the first school of fine art in Glasgow and was housed in the upper floor of the College Library on High Street. Among the students were David Allan and Robert Paul.
The Foulis Academy closed after Andrew's death in 1775. He and his brother were laid to rest in a lair at the Ramshorn Kirk.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f941.435 OLD
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
academies, art schools, booksellers, colleges, Foulis Academy of Fine Art, Glasgow University Library, Old College Library, portraits, printers, schools, University of Glasgow