An architectural plan of the first floor of (from the right) numbers 6, 7, 8 and 9 University Gardens in Hillhead. It was commissioned by John Napier in 1894.
The first floors contains the households' parlours, drawing rooms and dining rooms. The floor above would have consisted of bedrooms while the ground floor contained the studies, halls, wash-houses, wine cellars and servants' quarters.
Like most of the houses in University Avenue, these were designed by Sir John J Burnet (1857-1938) and built 1882-1884. In 2004 the buildings are occupied by the University of Glasgow's Scottish Literature, History of Art and Scottish History departments.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
architectural drawings, architectural plans, dining rooms, drawing rooms, History of Art, parlours, Scottish History, Scottish Literature, University of Glasgow