A notice posted by the Cranstonhill Water Works Co on 1 October 1808 indicating that the firm had completed preparations to supply filtered water from the Clyde to customers in the vicinity of its waterworks in Anderston
The company was formed in 1808 to supply water to the western end of the city. Customers wishing to receive water for private use were promised a free supply until Martinmas (11 November) 1809. After this time houses with an annual rental value of under £10 of rent were charged 5 shillings (25p) per year. Those with an annual rental value of £20 of rent paid 7 shillings 6d (37.5p) and those above £20 paid two per cent of the annual rental value.
The increasing pollution of the river forced the company to relocate its waterworks up-river at Dalmarnock in 1818. The company subsequently amalgamated with its competitor, the Glasgow Water Works Co. In 1856 a new municipal water supply was inaugurated by the Town Council, with fresh water piped from Loch Katrine.
Reference: TD 200/85a
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cranstonhill Water Works Co, Glasgow Water Works Co, Loch Katrine water scheme, posters, river pollution, water supply, waterworks