A poster giving details of streets that would be closed to traffic on 6 October 1883, when the foundation stone was to be laid at the new Glasgow City Chambers in George Square.
It was reported that 500,000 people lined the route of the procession on the day, to see a host of dignitaries that included representatives of the carters, the building trades, the textile industry, metal workers, Corporation, Clyde Navigation Trust workers and the shipbuilding industry. The stone was laid by Lord Provost John Ure with due pomp and ceremony, in front of an audience of tens of thousands crowded into George Square.
Reference: D-TC 6/581/11
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
foundation stone ceremonies, foundation stones, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Corporation, Masonic ceremonies, posters, processions, road closures, traffic control