Kent Road Public School, 1916. Kent Road runs left to right across the photograph, and the road leading north on the right is Claremont Street.
The school was designed by William Landless (who also designed John Street School) and built in 1885. It was one of the Glasgow School Board's first secondary schools, originally known as Higher Grade Schools. Kent Road and the other Higher Grade schools (John Street, City, Whitehill and Woodside) were strategically placed to make make sure that every child in the Board area had the opportunity to continue in education beyond the age of 13. This building was demolished in 1968 to make way for Woodside Secondary School.
Further along Claremont Street is the former Trinity Congregational Church, now Henry Wood Hall and home of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. It was built in 1864 by John Honeyman and converted in 1978 by John Notman and G S Calder.
Reference: D-ED 5/28/3/8
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
churches, Glasgow School Board, halls, Henry Wood Hall, Higher Grade Schools, Kent Road Higher Grade School, Kent Road Public School, Kent Road Secondary School, opera, Royal National Scottish Orchestra, RSNO, secondary schools, Trinity Congregational Church, Woodside Secondary School