A group of children with physical disabilities and two teachers standing next to a school bus on the steps of the former Kennyhill House in 1916. The house was converted by the Glasgow School Board that year to become Kennyhill Special School, to provide specialist educational facilities for children with special needs.
When Glasgow Corporation assumed responsibility for the city's schools in 1930 it had twenty-eight motor vans and buses employed to carry pupils to their special schools in the morning, and home again in the late afternoon. During school hours, the vehicles were employed to deliver containers of food to schools and hostels from a central Corporation cooking depot at Dovehill.
Kennyhill was the second Special School to open in Glasgow, after Percy Street (opened 1914).
Reference: D-ED 5/28/4/5
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
crutches, disabled children, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow School Board, Kennyhill House, Kennyhill Special School, motor coaches, nurses, physical disabilities, pupils, school buses, special needs pupils, special needs schools, teachers, women