A girls' class in Hyde Park School in Hyde Park Street, Springburn, 1916. The girls on the right of the photograph appear to be no older than eight or nine but those in the left foreground could be as old as fourteen.
When this school opened in 1908 it had a roll of 117 pupils and was housed in a temporary building for two years. The new school building was designed by Thomas, Dykes & Dale and opened by Lord Provost Archibald McInnes Shaw in September of 1910.
Following the decline of heavy industry in Springburn during the 1970s and 1980s Hyde Park's roll shrank to just sixty-seven pupils in 1983 and it was closed. The building was then used as accommodation for part of Glasgow City Council's Adult and Community Education department with one of the classrooms housing the Springburn Museum until 1986.
Reference: D-ED 5/7/6
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Adult and Community Education Department, children, classrooms, fashions, girls, Hyde Park Public School, Hyde Park School, Lord Provosts, primary schools, pupils, schools, Springburn Museum, teachers, Thomas, Dykes & Dale, women