Forty boys exercising at Quarrybrae Public School on Crail Street in Parkhead, 1916. They are supervised by two men, one at the back of the hall and one to the left. There is a piano in the foreground, left.
Military-style drill and physical education were considered to be important elements of the school curriculum, intended to promote social discipline, "team spirit" and a respect for authority as much as to improve physical fitness.
Quarrybrae, which opened in 1904, was a typical Board school designed by McWhannell & Rogerson with three floors of classrooms located off this central hall. When originally built the side of the school overlooked the Westmuir Quarry, which was in-filled in 1905. In 2003 the school remains, overlooking the site of the in-filled quarry.
Reference: D-ED 5/13/6
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
assembly halls, children, drill, Glasgow School Board, McWhannell & Rogerson, PE, physical education, pianos, primary schools, pupils, quarries, Quarrybrae Primary School, Quarrybrae Public School, school halls, teachers, Westmuir Quarry