A photograph of Eastbank Academy taken during the 1980s.
During the last decade of the 19th century the population of the Shettleston area doubled as the old village was engulfed by new industries and tenement housing. Eastmuir School was too small to meet the demand for places, and on 15 May 1894 the headmaster Duncan Rodger led his staff and pupils in line out of the old building and led them in a procession to the new Eastbank Public School, half a mile to the west.
The two-storey building was designed by architect John McKissack in Flemish style for the Shettleston School Board. It closed in 1986 when a new Eastbank Academy was opened nearby, but re-opened three years later as the Shettleston Campus of John Wheatley College.
Reference: T-ED 5/29/6/112
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
colleges, Eastbank Academy, Eastbank Public School, Eastmuir School, Flemish, headmasters, John Weatley College, Shettleston Campus, primary schools, Shettleston School Board