A photograph of the old Glasgow High School building on Elmbank Street c 1980.
The building was designed by Charles Wilson and opened in 1846 to house a new private school, Glasgow Academy. The Academy moved to a new building off Great Western Road at Kelvinbridge in 1878. Following its departure the Glasgow School Board bought the building and made it the new home of the High School, the city's oldest school (founded by 1460) which had been most recently located on John Street.
In 1970 Glasgow Corporation abolished school fees and selectivity in schools which came under its authority. The High School's authorities decided to retain its private status and leave the local authority system, and in 1976 it amalgamated with Drewsteignton School and moved to a new building at Anniesland. The old school building was converted to house the offices of Strathclyde Regional Council. The offices were transferred to Glasgow City Council after Scotland's regional councils were abolished in 1996.
Reference: T-ED 5/29/5/101
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Drewsteignton School, fee-paying schools, Glasgow Academy, Glasgow High School, Glasgow School Board, High School of Glasgow, private schools, schools, Strathclyde Regional Council offices