Sir John Maxwell School at 25 Bengal Street in Pollokshaws. Its predecessor was an industrial school that had been built in 1854 on a site gifted by the local landowner, Sir John Maxwell of nearby Pollok House. The school came under the authority of the Eastwood School Board in 1872 and in 1907 this building, designed by John Hamilton, was erected in place of the original. The classical architecture and the use of red sandstone was criticised by those who had hoped that it might have been built in the Scots Baronial style in keeping with the Pollokshaws Burgh Hall.
The school could accommodate around 550 pupils. It was also open for night classes, and from 1908 until 1915 the political activist John Maclean taught courses in Marxism to large classes there. It subsequently became the Sir John Maxwell Primary School. In 1985 a thriving Gaelic Unit was established at the school and continued until the opening of the Glasgow Gaelic Primary School in Woodlands in 1999.
Reference: T-ED 5/29/4/85
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Eastwood School Board, Gaelic Unit, Gaels, Glasgow Gaelic Primary School, Marxism, Marxists, night classes, night schools, political activists, Pollok House, Pollok Park, primary schools, Sir John Maxwell Primary School, Sir John Maxwell School, Socialism, Socialists, teachers