Thornwood Primary School, c 1908. The school was built (as Thornwood Public School) of red Locherbriggs sandstone in 1900 with an entrance on Auchentorlie Street. The grey brick extension on the southern side (on the right of this image) was added later.
The school's entrance was moved to Thornwood Terrace when Auchentorlie Street was truncated during the 1980s by the school's new clay football pitches, shown here.
The windows of the top storeys of the school provided an excellent view of the cranes of the Govan shipyards on the south bank of the River Clyde and the Meadowside Granaries on the north bank.
Reference: T-ED 5/29/3/59
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
clay football pitches, primary schools, red Locharbriggs sandstone, River Clyde, Thornwood Primary School, Thornwood Public School