A photograph of the machines in the "steamie" at Govan Public Baths and Wash-house in Harhill Street. These baths were opened by Glasgow Corporation on 17 April 1925, although the old Burgh of Govan had opened public baths with two swimming pools at Summertown Road in 1901.
The building contained a swimming pool of only 75 by 30 feet, but it had fifty-four private baths and 75 wash-stalls in the steamie, more than any other facility in the city.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, Department of Baths and Wash Houses
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Govan Public Baths and Wash-house, laundries, public health, public hygiene, steamies, swimming pools, wash-houses, washing, washing stalls