The decision to build a public baths and wash-house at Partick was taken in 1912, shortly before the burgh was annexed by Glasgow. The work proceeded under Glasgow Corporation and the building opened in Douglas Street (now Purdon Street)in January 1914.
The Partick "steamie" was provided with fifty-six washing stalls, but no swimming pool was provided and locals had to make do with only eighteen baths for men and eight for women. The steamie was converted to a launderette in the 1960s and closed in 1996. At the beginning of the 21st century it was demolished and a new block of brick-clad flats built on the site.
Prior to the erection of the Partick Baths and Wash-house, local women made use of small wash-houses in the back courts of their tenement homes. Each household was allotted a time to use the facility each week, but there were frequently disagreements over whose turn it was to have the key to the facility. The police were sometimes called to settle particularly heated arguments.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, Department of Baths and Wash Houses
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bathing, laundries, Partick Public Baths and Wash-house, public baths, public health, public hygiene, steamies, wash-houses, washing, washing stalls