A photograph of Govanhill Public Baths and Wash-house in Calder Street, c 1917. The baths were designed by A B McDonald and opened in 1917 after the architect's death. They contained hot baths in the upper storey and three swimming pools on the ground floor. There was a seating gallery around one of the pools for spectators attending events such as galas. There was also a wash-house or "steamie" at the rear of the building, which was converted to a launderette in 1971.
The Govanhill baths were not the first in the area - private baths had opened on Butterbiggins Road in 1877.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, Department of Baths and Wash Houses
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bathing, Govanhill Public Baths and Wash-house, hot baths, launderettes, laundries, private baths, public health, public hygeine, steamies, swimming galas, swimming pools, wash-houses, washing