A photograph of Maryhill Public Baths and Wash-house which opened on 30 May 1898 in Burnhouse Street. The building was designed by City Engineer A B McDonald.
The facilities at Maryhill included a swimming pool 75 feet by 35 feet and twenty-five private baths for men and six for women. There were thirty-six wash-stalls and two washing machines in the "steamie".
The popularity of Glasgow's public baths varied widely depending on the season. In the height of summer in 1938 there were 411,902 visits, compared to only 115,674 in December. The latter figure includes the traditional surge of visitors during the festive period.
Reference: D-BW 1/5
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bathing, Maryhill Public Baths and Wash-house, public health, public hygeine, steamies, swimming pools, wash-houses, washing machines