The Glasgow Corporation Baths and Wash-houses Committee was formed in 1875. It was composed of councillors and was based at the City Chambers in George Square. The Committee acquired this ground in Elliot Street for Cranstonhill Baths in December 1880, and the baths were opened in may 1883.
The water used in public baths was taken from the public supply, piped to the city from Loch Katrine. However, it contained a small amount of clay in suspension and when a pool was unused for a few days the clay would settle on the bottom and turn the white tiles to a murky brown. The Committee considered this problem to be less of a threat to hygiene than the grime which came from people's boots as they changed by the pool.
Reference: D-BW 1/2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Baths and Wash-houses Committee, Cranstonhill Public Baths and Wash-house, laundries, Loch Katrine scheme, public baths, public health, public hygiene, steamies, swimming pools, wash-houses, washing