The fireboat St Mungo on the River Clyde, 1959.
The fireboat was built by Hugh McLean & Sons in Renfrew and launched on 21 May 1959 by the wife of Lord Provost Myer Galpern. It operated from the Marine Fire Station at Yorkhill Quay. Many of the men who served on the St Mungo were Highlanders and Islanders who had been sailors before joining the Glasgow Fire Service.
The St Mungo was deemed surplus to requirements following the inauguration of the Strathclyde Fire Brigade in 1975, as shipbuilding and cargo on the river continued to decline. The boat was sold in 1978 and subsequently used as an offshore tender.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, Deposited Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cargo, fireboats, firefighters, firemen, Glasgow Fire Brigade, Glasgow Fire Service, Hugh McLean & Sons, Marine Fire Station, River Clyde, St Mungo, Strathclyde Fire Brigade, Yorkhill Quay