Cowcaddens Fire Station under construction in 1971. The station is the Central Command Headquarters for the Strathclyde Fire Brigade and at the beginning of the 21st century it still serves most of the city centre north of the Clyde. It is home to two water tender ladders, an aerial ladder platform and a damage control unit as well as vehicle workshops, a training centre and brigade stores.
The first phase of the project began in 1971 with the construction of the workshops and the breathing apparatus training school which were completed in 1977. The complex was completed in 1984 at a cost of £1,269,567.
Reference: TD 1431/53/6
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
breathing apparatus training schools, Central Fire Station, Cowcaddens Fire Station, Glasgow Fire Brigade, Strathclyde Fire Brigade, training centres, vehicle workshops