TheGlasgowStory 

Skip Navigation / Jump to Content

Featured Images

Pavilion Theatre
Pavilion Theatre

Gas worker
Gas worker

Fire on Maryhill Road

Glasgow City Archives, Deposited Collections

*Open in New Window
Fire on Maryhill Road

A dramatic photograph showing flames engulf a disused furniture shop in Great Western Road west of Maryhill Road, near St Georges Cross, 18 November 1972. A member of the public and a fire fighter lost their lives in the blaze.

It was claimed later that the growth in multiple occupancy in the area had resulted in the partitioning of rooms and created a greater risk of fire. The tenements were owned by Glasgow Corporation which was held partly to blame for the disaster.

Forty-one dwellings, six shops, two public houses and a post office were destroyed by fire or subsequent demolition and fifty families were made homeless. A stretch of the Glasgow Underground was damaged and had to be closed. In the wake of the incident, which came close on the heels of the Kilbirnie Street disaster of 25 August, there were demands for the introduction of greater fire safety precautions in the city.

Reference: TD 1431/51/52

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning

Keywords:
disasters, fire appliances, fire fighters, firemen, fires, furniture shops, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow District Subway Co, Glasgow Fire Brigade, hoses, Kilbirnie Street Fire, mulitiple occupancy, shops, tenements



Quick Search


Photo Album

You have 0 images in your photo album.

View Photo Album

Log-In (Optional)

username:
password:
Not a user? Register now for FREE!

Other Options