The aftermath of a fire which broke out in the storage sheds on Stobcross Quay in Finnieston on 28 September 1953. More than 100 workers were evacuated in tugs and small boats from the oil tanker Alva Bay seen here moored alongside the quay. The ship was being fitted out and held 1,500 tons of highly flammable fuel oil.
The blaze had begun and quickly took hold among rolls of newspapers in a shed. Exploding gas canisters added to the dangers facing fire fighters. At one stage the river fire boat came up under the stern of the tanker in order to bring additional hoses to play on the flames. The fire was eventually brought under control but the rubble continued to smoulder for several days.
The Finnieston crane at Stobcross Quay can be seen in the background and Queen's Dock is on the left of the photograph.
Reference: TD 1431/51/12 Plate 3
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Alva Bay, cranes, docks, Finnieston crane, fire boats, fires, Glasgow Fire Brigade, oil tankers, quays, Queen's Dock, ships, Stobcross Quay, tugs quays