A photograph showing the aftermath of a fire at 71-73 Robertson Street on 3 June 1900. The fire began at 6.15am in a general store and spread to an adjoining bonded warehouse which held flammable goods such as grain, spirits and flour.
To the right of the photograph is the scar on an adjacent building, caused when the north gable of the warehouse gave way at 9am. Several firemen narrowly escaped with their lives, and could not prevent the second building catching fire. It was reported that whisky from the bond ran down Robertson Lane (to the left), igniting intermittently before being extinguished by watchful firemen.
Two men from the Glasgow Salvage Corps are standing on top of the highest pile of rubble in the centre of this image. There are firemen's hoses in the right foreground, lying on burnt sacks of flour.
Reference: TD 338/23/18
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bonded warehouses, firemen, fires, Glasgow Fire Brigade, Glasgow Fire Service, Glasgow Salvage Corps, hoses, whisky