Bellahouston Bowling Club on Paisley Road, soon after its foundation in 1858. It was subsequently bounded on three sides by Cecil Street, Clifford Street and Percy Street.
The decision to build a new bowling green on Paisley Road was made at a meeting in a coffee house on Clyde Place. Two sites were proposed and this parcel of land belonging to Mr Steven of Bellahouston was selected, at a rent of £20 per month rising to £50 after 20 years. The new green was built at a cost of £330.
The bowling club moved from Clifford Street in 1893 due to the construction of the Glasgow District Subway: the section which passed beneath the greens was built by "cut and cover", which involved excavating two deep trenches across the site and then covering over the tunnels formed below. The club's new home was nearby at Beech Avenue and Manor Road.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 796.31 BEL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bellahouston Bowling Club, bowlers, bowling, bowling clubs, bowling greens, Glasgow District Subway