Sir John Stirling Maxwell (1866-1956) became associated with the Cartha Athletic Club in 1891 when he secured new grounds for the club after he required it to vacate playing fields in Pollok Park to make way for a new avenue approach to Pollok House. He became Patron of the club 1897-1905.
The club's new playing fields on Dumbreck Road had belonged to a local farmer, who was persuaded by Sir John to lease a field to the club for an annual rent of £16. He also presented the club with £30 in compensation for expenses incurred in developing its former home.
Reference: Mitchell Library G 796.3
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cartha Athletic Club, patrons, Pollock House, sports, sports clubs, sports grounds